Friday, June 13, 2008

Expect the Unexpected

About two weeks ago I got an unexpected gift. A client of my MIL heard that I knit and teach knitting and she promptly gathered yarn that she thought I could use and sent it my way. Two garbage bags full of yarn and a bunch of needles! In with all the acryllic I found a few gems. A very old skein of 100% wool (picture 13), 1,5 skeins of a linen mix from the HEMA (a well known and loved warehouse that used to have a wide array of yarn and patternbooks) (picture 9), a huge ball of lace weight cream coloured wool (picture 14 in the front) and a couple of purple 'Idunno' with purple shiny stuff skeins (not pictured). Most of the stuff must be from the early eighties or older, it brought back a lot of memories of my grandmother knitting me sweaters. Thank you unknown client person!!
I didn't get much time to turn my sewing classes into 3D stuff, but eventually I did manage to sew this skirt out of two € 1,- coupons of IKEA material. Along with the elastic waistband the whole skirt set me back about € 3,50. I don't think I ever managed such a good deal with any knitting project. Ok, maybe with given yarn... Oh no, I'm not complaining about knitting and I'm not turning into a sewing maniac, don't you worry! It's just amazing that I got a complete skirt in about an hour and for less than a fiver. Ok, sorry I'll stop 'swearing' now.
It's a really simple circle skirt, but I'm in love with it. It suits my figure (the top on the picture isn't ideal) and it says HELLO in a very friendly way. All I need now is some cute mary janes to go with it.
I decided not to cut the 'designed by so-and-so for IKEA 2007' off the fabric for fun. No one at the sewing café thought it was fun though... oh well...

Also, this...
turned into this...
A fleece version of my 'Space Invader' pattern and a 'Gloeiworm' (glow worm?). My first attempts at making toys out of fabric. They kind of look like the're visiting from another planet next to the African animals. They've now found new homes with baby earthlings. I wish them well! Bleep, bleep, skrrp, skeep, pling!

7 comments:

Karen said...

Lovely skirt! And an amazing deal at the same time...Bonus!!!
Your little fleece creatures are super cute too.

- said...

wow!
Great gift! Lovely colors, lucky you!
Glowworm is welloved by my littlest earthling now!

Tijm said...

Wat geweldig dat je nu ook aan het naaien bent! Zelf ben ik altijd erg blij geweest met die combie,wat een vrijheid om en te kunnen breien/haken en om zelf kleding ed te kunnen naaien!
De rok staat je geweldig en die figuurtjes......errug leuk.

Anonymous said...

love the glowwurm and great skirt: Ikea has the most fabulous fabrics nowadays: good idea for a skirt

Anonymous said...

Lucky you with all that yarn! :)

I totally love your skirt. Did you know that I bought a sewing machine yesterday at IKEA? I must try to make a skirt too. I know, I am a total copy cat - but you are so cool. ;D

dagmar said...

I love the skirt... en ik zou de ikea-print ook laten zitten :-)!

Wendolene said...

Adorable skirt! I would've left the Ikea writing on if it were mine--it's very Pop Art : )