Tuesday, June 03, 2008

My Mix & Match Life

Think I should get contact lenses??
Those little baby fingers give me
a whole different perspective (quite literally) on the world.

It's been about 3 months since I've changed my professional life about 180 degrees and I'm still loving it. I don't miss the world of 'be's' and 'wanna-be's' at all. All the prejudices I had before, and things I was afraid off before I decided to go another direction I can now easily dismiss:

- I don't miss having co-workers. Mostly because I kind of still have them when I teach at the naaicafé (sewing café), the women that work there I consider to be colleagues. But I'm my own boss so I guess it's only the social part of being colleagues that we share. Which is good!
- My world isn't getting smaller and smaller. Nope, it's expanding by the day, I'm connecting with other makers, getting invited to do projects and meeting lots of new people (not only online ;-). It's just a different kind of world than before.
- My child doesn't miss hanging out with other kids because he doesn't go to daycare. I have lots of (new) friends with kids and because I'm very flexible with my working hours we get to hang out with other moms and kids whenever I want to.
- I'm not waisting my education. I in fact combine all my previous career moves. (photograpy, design, writing, marketing, teaching) It's the perfect thing for me!

All in all I'm the luckiest woman in the world. I really feel that way and count my blessings every day. Professionally I'm aiming in the direction I want to be and slowly but steadily it's taking me there. At the same time I get to take care of my BB (Baby Boy) almost full time and that's fantastic. And Boyfriend Dear is supporting me all the way! (and I still haven't finished his Cobblestone Sweater...poor guy)

I do sometimes feel that some people don't really understand and support my choise and think that I do waste my education and career but that's just a feeling. No one has actually SAID something, it just sometimes hovers in the air during a conversation. You know what I mean? I sometimes feel the need to explain myself and let people know that what I'm doing now is probably the biggest project ever for me. I need to let that go. I can be very gutsy, but sometimes I'm still really just a girl.

Ok, enough soul searching. On designing...

I made this very simple and easy belt, to wear over tunics, skirts, dresses or long shirts. It's made of raffia I bought in Sweden two yrs ago. The closing is a piece of hollow wood I found on a beach in Denmark. That makes it a really Scandinavian design I guess. Ooh, that leaves all kinds of great naming possibilities... Ronja (Ronia the robbers daughter), Abbalisious, Bjorn Belt...


I needed a summer hat for Baby Boy but it turned out a little too girly... I love the design though and I'm definitely writing out the pattern soon.
Oh... writing out patterns... I must have about four projects I need to write down and I'm sooo bad at it. I just rather start a new one. Sounds familiar to anyone?

Ok mom, that's one time only ok? Can we make a deal please?

I'll smile big, but this is the first and the last time I'll pose for your girly designs!
On other news, I'm still working on an Etsy shop but I need good pictures and the light is not cooperating during working hours (when Baby Boy sleeps). So that's coming soon.

Mom, what are you doing on the floor?

I didn't want that piece of broccoli, you can just leave it there, I don't mind!

8 comments:

Tijm said...

Lieverd, wat ben je GEWELDIG bezig!!!!!!
Ik ben zo trots op je en vind dat je zo professioneel bezig bent!
Het gevoel wat je beschrijft, herken ik heel goed.
Veel mensen zijn van mening dat je een drukke buitenhuisbaan moet hebben om mee te kunnen praten met de rest. Ze zijn, in mijn ogen, daarin kortzichtig. Het gaat er om hoe je je leven leeft, wat jij er uit haalt, wat jij er in stopt en of je dat nu thuis doet, of met vrijwilligerswerk, of bijbaan, of fulltime, dat doet er niet toe.
Jij bent een ontwikkelde vrouw, die nog steeds bezig is met ontwikkelen, nieuwe wegen inslaat, nadenkt over keuses en dergelijke.
Jij hebt een eigen mening, staat open voor discussie. Een boeiender gesprekspartner is er niet!!
Toen ik 20 jaar terug besloot om eerst fulltime moeder te zijn had ik ook vaak in gesprekken dat mensen mij maar oversloegen, 'want ja..die zat maar alleen thuis bij de kids wat kan die nou te vertellen hebben' ..
Heb me daar toen erg aan geergerd. Ik heb meer te vertellen dan alleen iets over kinderen en opvallend, de mensen die zo'n houding hadden, konden zelf maar weinig verder kijken dan hun kleine wereldje.
Dus meis, blijf trots en ga zo door.
Je bent een voorbeeld voor anderen!!!

Anonymous said...

The belt is very pretty, I think it'd go well with the top I'm having in the plans to sew... uhm, next month hopefully!

I love my contacts, and I don't have to deal with mini finger prints on my glasses! It's handy they don't fog up in winter when you enter some place either.

As for light, have you considering making a lighbox or light tent? It's not too expensive, most you cant fold to put away, and doesn't require many materials.

Anonymous said...

I think you have a perfect Mix & Match Life! You do know that I will be cheering you on as your knitting empire grows, don't you? :)

Love your belt btw, very Abba-esque.

Anonymous said...

Ieder mens kiest het leven dat zij zelf wil, met een eigen invulling. Je hebt bewust een keuze gemaakt en vult die op een goede manier in. Welke keus je ook maakt, je zoon zal er wel bij varen omdat jij goed in je vel zit (ondanks werkelijke schattige, maar wel wat meisjesachtige hoed: Gewoon doen, nu kan het nog). Ik ben ook thuis, om een heel andere reden dan jij (WAO). Ik vul mijn leven in zoals ik dat wil. Mijn wereld is wel klein, omdat ik een grote wereld niet aankan, maar ook daarmee kan ik mijn leven een zinvolle invulling geven. Wat mensen vinden zal jou een zorg zijn, ik houd van mensen die voor zichzelf kiezen!!

Anonymous said...

Hoi Saskia,

Ik kreeg je flyer bij mijn wolletjes van Storm Op Zolder, dus ik kwam eens een kijkje nemen hier. :)

Ik herken je gevoel helemaal! Ikzelf ben sinds eind vorig jaar gestopt met het "kantoorleven", ik had daar he-le-maal geen zin meer in. Ben nu freelance redacteur en werk zo ongeveer 2,5 dag thuis. De rest van mijn tijd besteed ik aan mijn kinderen en mijn hobbies. Ik heb me nog nooit zo gelukkig gevoeld! Ondanks de opmerkingen. "Mis je je collega's dan niet?" "Maar de hele dag thuis zitten, daar word je toch gek van?" "Je hebt toch niet voor niks een opleiding gedaan?" Sorry dames en heren, ik ontwikkel me op dit moment 1000x zoveel als toen ik nog een vaste 9-5 job had, ik ben niet eenzaam, en vervelen? Wat is dat in vredesnaam?

Dus wat ik maar wilde zeggen: blijf je hart volgen en doe vooral waar JIJ je het lekkerst bij voelt, want dat is toch echt het belangrijkst. :)

Anonymous said...

Sas, stop 'explaining' to others. Het is jouw leven en uit elke regel spat dat je dit een fantastisch leven vindt. Daar heb jij (en BB en BF) recht op, toch?
Weet je wat een opleiding weggooien is? 40 uur per week bezig zijn met werk dat je niet leuk vindt in een omgeving die je niet inspireert met mensen waar je anders nooit mee zou samenwerken. En gek he, ik las heel andere dingen in de ogen van die kleine over die 'girlie' hat. :-)

Anonymous said...

Lieve saskia: je bent geweldig bezig, je hebt mij geinspireerd om iets te gaan doen waar ik al jaren over aan het zeuren ben, maar nooit verder kwam dan dat. Nu heb ik een eerste stap gezet. Ja, mysterieus...maar dat hou ik nog even zo. Wordt vervolgd.
Ennu...inderdaad: geen meisjeshoeden voor leuke jochies als Iep.

Anonymous said...

You've got the best of both world! Voor mij ben je een ware inspiratiebron (en hoop dat ik ooit de kracht heb om het roer om te gooien).

Jij staat voor ware girlpower!