Saturday, May 27, 2006

It's all in the head

view out of my bedroom window, like it's not smack in the middle of a city
I wasn't going to do it,
I really, really wasn't...

But I did,
I did because I just couldn't help myself.

I just went in there to buy a starterskit (motivatingly pretty yarn that you háve to see knitted up & 8mm needles) for my friend Zita. I wasn't going to look hard, just scanning, getting the kit and 'hop', be on my way.

But they had the black, thick sock wool that I needed...
And they had some really good deals...
And then there was this crazy yarn that looks like it would be worn by a 20's have-been diva, too 'out there' and 'way over the top' to just walk by and leave it. It actually looks like someone ate a peacock, some butterflies and a chameleon and vomited it al out in a twined thread (how can you resist) ...
Not to mention lush green 100% wool to start a new felting project...

I need help!
I need Yarn Gatherers Anonymous!

So now it's saturday morning (I'm late posting this...) and I don't have to do anything or go anywhere until two 'o clock, a great day to lay in bed, take it easy, make a café latte at around 12 and start knitting.
But no... noooo, not this chica... I woke up at 6:30... yup, 6-freakin'-30, my head just overflowing with ideas and plans and yarns and colours and patterns, colours, stitches, presents for others, projects for me, it kept coming, like someone slipped something in my drink before I went to bed.
I couldn't take it anymore, got out of bed, got my notebook and started to write it all down, drawing (very) rough versions of the pattern ideas in my head.

*Sigh*
Now, it's like after a thunderstorm in summer, all is quiet again, calm, silent, peaceful...

Thing is... al these things I design in my head are way beyond my abilities at this point in my knitting 'career'. I'm thinking of all kinds of intricate patterns and I've only done one Fair Isle project ever. Not to mention my lack of fast-knitting skills. If I want to make everything I thought of this morning alone I'll have to give up my job, start ordering meals every day and use a personal shopper for about a year (and lose all my friends and Boyfriend Dear in the process).

So I'm thinking, I know what I am. I'm not a neurotic, I'm not a maniac, I'm not over-eager or just naive...

I'm a Conceptual artist.
That's it... A CONCEPTUAL artist!

1 comment:

gullyer said...

Well at least your on the path to becoming possibly more than a Conceptual Artist! Thats more than I can say for myself. How fun it must be to wake with visions of self-made knitting patterns in your head!